Student photo

Social Work Services

School Social Workers are in Every School

School Social Workers are school employees who provide social work services in every school in Chesterfield County. School Social Workers are state certified and have expertise in social work and education. As a part of a multidisciplinary team of staff, teachers and parents, they assist and encourage the development of each student’s capabilities. School Social Workers identify and intervene in problems that interfere with a student’s education. They are trained to deal with difficulties such as developmental and learning disabilities; parenting education; family and marital stress; school age pregnancy; absenteeism; substance abuse; crisis management and suicide prevention. The coordination of resources between home, school, and community is a unique service provided by School Social Workers. Resources that School Social Workers frequently connect individuals with are: parenting classes; mental health services; resources for food and clothing; tutorial services and other educational support.

Your School Social Worker provides information on food, clothing and tutorial services.

What Do We Do?

School Social Workers are hired by school districts to enhance their ability to meet academic missions. They are on the frontlines of addressing barriers to learning.

School Social Workers address a variety of issues that impact a student’s ability to learn and are vital in helping parents navigate the education system and access community resources. Some things school social workers do on a daily basis, include:

  • Conduct sociological assessments for students suspected of having an educational disability

  • Assist school teams in reviewing individual student needs

  • Consult with school staff on effective social-emotional strategies

  • Address barriers to the child, home, school, and community that interfere with school access, including chronic absenteeism

  • Crisis intervention and prevention

  • Assess student needs through observation, home visits, interviews and assessments

  • Referrals to community agencies for students and families

  • Consult collaborate, and case-manage with community organizations and professionals

  • Individual and group social-emotional support services

© Virginia Association of School Social Work, adapted

Virginia Department of Education provides information about special education and other academic programming.

Parallax image

Find your Social Worker

If you are Experiencing an Emergency, please call 911 or the 24/7 Crisis Line at 804-748-6356 (CHESTERFIELD)

The McKinney-Vento Act was created to support school access, school stability and academic success for students residing in transitional living situations.


When students and/or families find themselves in a place of transition or in temporary housing situations it is often during these times that academic barriers are encountered. Registration, enrollment, transportation and accessing school supplies and/or school sponsored programs may be difficult. If you believe your family is eligible for McKinney-Vento services, contact your school registrar or social worker for an application!


Under the McKinney-Vento Act, certain living arrangements are considered to be “homeless” that may not typically be recognized as homeless situations. In determining eligibility, the term “homeless children and youth” means individuals who lack a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence. As described in the McKinney-Vento Act, this includes:

  • Sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing, economic hardship or a similar reason.

  • Living in motels, hotels, trailer parks or campgrounds due to a lack of alternative adequate housing.

  • Living in an emergency or transitional shelter.

  • Living in a car, park or public place not meant for habitation.

  • A child or youth not living in the physical custody of a parent or legal guardian due to incarceration or death of parent or because the youth has run away.


Under the McKinney-Vento Act there are specific rights that a student has which includes the right to:

  • Enroll in school immediately, even if you do not have all of the required documents.

  • Attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.

  • Enroll in the local school or continue attending the school of origin (the school attended when permanently housed or the school in which the student was last enrolled).

If the school district believes that the school selected is not in the best interest of the student then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal it’s decision.

  • Transportation to and from the school of origin if requested.

  • Educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students needs.

  • Free school breakfast and lunch and school fee waivers.

Community Resources

A list of community-based counseling agencies in our area is available by contacting your school social worker.

If you are experiencing an emergency, please call 911 or the 24/7 Crisis Line at 804-748-6356 (Chesterfield).

*This is not an exhaustive list and is not intended to be a referral to or recommendation of any specific service provider. Parents should check with insurance providers to confirm coverage availability and research providers independently.